Day 31- Taking Off

Singapore was a little bit of everything I had seen before, squeezed onto an island and stepped a few years into the future.

Once again it was the diversity that had me gripped. If I had one chance to show an alien what humans are, I think I would've taken them straight to the Singapore subway. If they'd had time to try human food, I would've taken them with me to little India for breakfast, and a Chinese temple for lunch. 

This was as far as I was going to get by land, being the very southern tip of Asia, and ahead of me now lay islands and ocean. I felt the urge to go on a boat, as if to double check this really was the end, to look back at the skyline of Singapore and picture behind it a whole month's worth of memories, that were already beginning to blend into a whirl of sights and sounds.



The boat took me to this tiny artificial island with a stone turtle on it.



I swam in the sea, and didn't freeze to death. Weird.

But then I gave in, and went to the airport. The overland dream was over.



Comments

  1. you should have spent more time in Singapore! (definitely more so than Malaysia :P not biased at all!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts