Day 27- The Big Bang

I awoke in my dusty Hostelling International dorm, surprised that I had managed to get a good night's sleep on the plastic mattress, but unsurprised to see that I was still the only one there. I even wandered about the place, half naked, calling 'halloooo' for a while, but no answer came.

A hour later, I found myself in a beautifully clean hostel, right next to a 'sky train' station, and with evidence of human habitation. This made me a hundred times happier, and I began hatching a threefold plan for my day in Bangkok. I would do some exploring in the morning, check out the indoor climbing scene of Thailand in the afternoon, then find a rooftop bar to experience a bit of the city's world famous nightlife. 

1. Urban Exploring

Random stops on the sky train and random turns made for some fun photography.


This is the sky train. It has better views than the underground.


This is an abandoned skyscraper some call 'Ghost Tower'. As it would have been illegal, I didn't even think about trying to go up it. Thankfully, if I had considered this, large metal barriers would have quickly put an end to that idea. But seriously, google it to see the crazy people who have been up.


Double vanishing point. The railway and the canals provided alternative paths to explore.




Cat + Giant Golden Buddha. What more could you want?


You could also choose to see Bangkok from the water in one of these.

2. Indoor Climbing

I went to a climbing wall and did some bouldering. It was kinda like any other climbing wall, I met some other climbers. What was I expecting? Anyway, it was good to get some exercise, what with all this sitting on trains. There was also a swimming pool so I finished with twenty lengths. I considered indulging in a back massage too, but I was too scared from what I've heard about Thai massages.

On the way back from the sports centre I had a two course street dinner. Barbecued pork and spring rolls for starters, followed by seafood curry and rice. Let's just say that it was better than a hot dog.



3. Harry's Big Night Out

It was raining, and the rooftop bar I planned to go to had closed several months ago. I was also exhausted. 'But this is Bangkok, you can't possibly leave without seeing something of the nightlife' I told myself. 

So I grudgingly got back on the sky train for the sixth time and took a walk along Sukhumvit Soi 11. I was underwhelmed, but then it was 10 o'clock on a rainy Tuesday night. 

What did capture my imagination though, was when I took a few turns and suddenly found myself in the Middle East! There was Arabic writing, and music and voices, there were Arabic men with beards and women in Burkhas, and kebabs, and perfumes floating in the air I had never smelled before. It must've been a hallucination induced by the overload of cultures to my brain, as next thing I knew it was morning, and I was most definitely still in Thailand.

Comments

Popular Posts